Sports Injury Treatment from a Chiropractor
It is important for everyone to exercise regularly and stay in shape. That is for sports can be helpful. On the other hand, regardless of age, there is a chance that someone could suffer a sports injury. Even though you may think you need to take prescription medication or undergo a surgical procedure, a chiropractor may be able to help you. Learn more about sports injuries and how a chiropractor can help you below!
What are Sports Injuries?
Sports injuries are exactly what they sound like: they are injuries that you can sustain playing sports. Sports injuries can either be acute or chronic. Acute injuries are injuries that are sustained abruptly, such as a bone fracture. On the other hand, some sports injuries may be more chronic in nature, stemming from overuse injuries.
What are common types of Sports Injuries?
Sports injuries come in many shapes and forms. Depending on the exact sport you play, there are different types of sports injuries you may suffer. These include:
- A Ligament Sprain: A ligament is responsible for connecting bones together. If you stretch a ligament too far, it may sustain a slight tear. This is referred to as a sprain. With a sprain, the ligament is still intact; however, it has been torn slightly.
- A Muscle Strain: A muscle strain takes place when you stretch a muscle too far. At this point, small fibers begin to tear. Even though strains and sprains sound similar, strains take place in muscle tissue while sprains take place in ligaments.
- Bone Fractures: Bone fractures are also common while playing sports. Bone fractures take place when the bone itself cracks. For example, one common example of a bone fracture is a fracture of the radius or ulna. This commonly happens when people extend their hands to protect themselves as they fall.
- Knee Injuries: Knee injuries are common in any sport that requires quick changes in direction. This includes basketball, football, baseball, lacrosse, and soccer. Some knee injuries involve sprains of the ligaments including the LCL, ACL, MCL, and PCL. In other situations, these look a mess could be torn completely.
- Rotator Cuff Injuries: If you play a sport that involves an overhand throwing motion, such as baseball or football, you could sustain a rotator cuff injury. This refers to injuries involving any of the four muscles that make up the rotator cuff.
If you sustained sports injuries, you have multiple treatment options available; however, it would be better to prevent these injuries from happening in the first place.
How can one prevent getting Sports Injuries?
There are several ways that you can prevent sports injuries from taking place. These include:
- Make sure that you exercise on a regular basis. If you keep yourself in shape, your body will be able to resist the stresses of playing sports.
- Always warm-up and stretch before you participate in physical activity. By stretching and warming up, you get your muscles, ligaments, and bones ready to respond to physical activity. That way, you can reduce your chances of getting hurt.
- Always play with the correct protective equipment. If your sport requires a helmet, and mouth guard, and knee pads, wear them.
If you do get hurt, a chiropractor can help you with sports injury treatment.
How can a Chiropractor help with a Sports Injury Treatment?
A chiropractor takes a personalized approach to the treatment of all sports injuries. The goal is to identify the root cause of your injury. Then, all treatment options will target that specific cause in an effort to not only treat the symptoms on the surface but also to prevent the entry from coming back.
In a lot of situations, a chiropractor will use manual therapy to ensure the bones, ligaments, tendons, and joints are in proper alignment. By providing your body with the proper foundation, you can increase your chances of making a full recovery. Furthermore, manual therapy also has a lower chance of leading to complications or side effects when compared to traditional treatment methods. A chiropractor can also advise you on stretches, exercising, and dietary changes that can expedite the recovery process.
If you are interested in learning more about how a chiropractor can help you recover from sports injuries, reach out to the Wright Start Chiropractic Today!
Request an Appointment
Call (925) 757-3309 or complete the form below to book your appointment today.