Neck Pain Treatment from a Chiropractor
Do you wake up in the morning with neck stiffness? Do you notice it is difficult to read a book, drive a car, or maintain a conversation with someone? If so, you may be suffering from neck pain. What are some of the main causes of neck pain and how can a chiropractor help you?
An Overview of the Neck
The neck is a delicate structure that is made up of multiple vertebrae connecting the skull to the spinal column. The neck also has a lot of cervical discs that cushion your bones. The job of your neck is to support your skull, providing you with a wide range of motion. The neck is also the home of numerous important structures including nerves, blood vessels, the trachea, and the esophagus.
Unlike other structures throughout your body, the structures in the neck are not necessarily protected by a bony cage. As a result, the neck could be vulnerable to injury. If you are experiencing neck pain, there are several possible reasons why.
What Are the Main Causes of Neck Pain?
There are numerous causes of neck pain. Like other potential injuries and illnesses, summer more serious than others. Some of the most common reasons why you may be experiencing neck pain include:
- If you were recently involved in a car accident, you may be suffering something called whiplash. This is a sprain of the cervical ligament, which makes it hard for you to move your neck from side to side.
- You may also be sleeping with your neck in a bad position. If your neck is not properly supported as you sleep, you could wake up with aches and pains in the morning.
- If you do not have proper posture, particularly if you sit at a desk for work, you may experience neck pain.
- You could have also suffered a neck injury while playing sports. If you made sudden contact with another competitor or object, you could have suffered a ligament sprain or muscle strain.
There are also certain infections that could lead to neck pain, such as meningitis.
How Can One Prevent Neck Pain?
There are several ways you can prevent neck pain. These include:
- Always stretch and warm-up before exercise. This will reduce your chances of suffering an injury while playing sports.
- Make sure you are following proper ergonomics at work. You may need a customized seat cushion, back cushion, or neck cushion at your desk.
- Drive safely. If you are not involved in a motor vehicle accident, you reduce your chances of developing whiplash.
- Invest in a pillow that supports your neck at the proper height given your sleeping position.
A trained chiropractor can help you address all of these concerns.
How Can a Chiropractor Help with the Treatment of Neck Pain?
If you are experiencing acute or chronic neck pain, a chiropractor may be able to help you. When you visit a chiropractor, he or she will:
- Ask questions to figure out exactly when, where, and how your neck pain developed
- Conduct a thorough physical exam to assess the range of motion of your muscles and ligaments
- Ensure the vertebrae, ligaments, and muscles in your neck are in proper alignment using manual therapy and adjustments
- Recommended lifestyle changes, including ergonomic adjustments, that can help you prevent neck pain in the future
- Teach you corrective exercises you can perform that can build the strength of the muscles in your neck, providing more support to your ligaments, tendons, and joints
Depending on the exact nature of your neck pain, your chiropractor may have additional treatment options at his or her disposal. The benefit of working with a chiropractor is that he or she is going to tailor his or her treatment plan to meet you or unique names. That way, you can not only treat your neck pain but also avoid the development of complications and side effects.
Request an Appointment
Call (925) 757-3309 or complete the form below to book your appointment today.